Monday, March 24, 2008

on calories and kilojules

So first, I was pregnant, and I could eat whatever I wanted. And it was good.

Then I was recovering from childbirth and surgery while nursing a ravenous infant, and I could eat whatever I wanted.

Then I was chasing after a rambunctious toddler, still nursing, and I could eat whatever I wanted.

Mind you, I tried to make nutritious choices *most* of the time. When I was pregnant and craving milkshakes, I gave in. Constantly. When I was recovering from surgery, I ate lots of Kenyan beans drenched in coconut milk and olive oil. And for the past year or so, i've cleaned up after Cleo, munching a handful of whole wheat Goldfish here or half an apple there, trying not to be wasteful.

And it has caught up with me now that Cleo is starting to wean, despite my thrice-weekly trips to the gym and bellydance classes, so i'm getting back on the wagon, keeping track of my calories, and upping the intensity of my workouts. I bought a nutrition and workout diary at the bookstore, which is apparently Australian in origin and therefore discusses fibre and kilojules, which totally cracks me up. But I'm going to keep track. Dammit.

Today, I ate sparingly, gulped water, tucked in oodles of veggies, and did not clean up after my toddler a bit. And here I am after a spartan dinner with over 1600 calories. And that's before i've had my daily requisite 13-gram of fibre explode-o-cereal.

Wow. I can't imagine how much I was eating before, when I willfully ignored the numbers. My Australian guidebook suggests between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, while America seems to waffle (and pancake and donut) a bit more and offer me 1600 to 1800 calories a day. Plus, maybe 200 extra for the amount of nursing i'm doing.

Ah, America. Where I can weigh 140 pounds and still fit into an XL in Juniors.

Also, I freezer meals have improved a lot since 2002. I had Lean Cuisine butternut squash ravioli, and it was so good that if I had ordered it in a restaurant, I would have been impressed. And I even ate GREEN PEAS and YELLOW PEPPERS.

Hmm. I must be serious!

1 comment:

stinestrain said...

apparently john made a "goal" at his work seminar today to be healthier, so we are back eating the south beach way.

which means I will now make an effort to only make healthy cookies when you are over.

quinoa cookie, anyone?