Tuesday, February 5, 2008

a hideous, hideous confession

I hunger for chicken skin.

Like, all the time. Even more so when i'm pregnant, which I don't think I currently am.

Seriously, tonight I roasted a whole (antibiotic-free, hormone-free, etc.) chicken and promptly ripped the skin off it, still piping hot, and stuffed it in my gob.

Omigod, that chicken skin was so good. I haven't tasted the chicken yet, but the skin was just SO GOOD.

And that's why I totally disgust myself. Because it's the SKIN of an ANIMAL. And I CRAVE it. I am totally freakin' COMPELLED. I know how bad it is for me, and I see the fat dripping off it, and I notice those nasty little leftover feather sticks, and I am aware of the little puckery skin dimples where feathers used to be, and I still HAVE TO EAT IT. I kicked my own butt at the gym today for an hour and probably still didn't cancel out that nasty mouthful of delicious, buttery chicken skin with little to no nutritional value.

So there's my confession. I eat chicken skin.

Jealous?

5 comments:

Isabel Aven said...

actually, maybe. ok not really. but as a fellow southerner, i can relate. love me some (eco-groovy) fried/baked/bbq/whatever chicken (skin). there, now two of us have confessed.

Frogs Mom said...

So I have to comment on this. That is gross. After selecting my boneless, skinless chicken breasts tonight I saw chicken wings all I could think of was that people actually WANT to eat that. In the words of Tonya from 'Everybody Hates Chris' 'That's NAAASTY.'

robert d said...

This entry conjures up a favorite Dylan song of mine - Ballad of A Thin Man. And they sit there so smugly thinking they know the definition of "geek".

I had occasion recently to review and annotate one of your eviscerations from your heydays in the late 90's - Undulations. I won't bore you with the details but it began - a wonderful poem, written by the rarest of talents.

Snapping out,

d

delilah said...

I know it's nasty. I totally know. My only consolation is that it's all-natural, and I know exactly what's in it. I mean, some people get their nasty quotient from Ding Dongs, Baconators, chili dogs, or Blue Razzberry Kool-Aid, and they're not even made of "food".

Emile said...

It actually sounds kind of good to me. That is, all of it but the feather sticks. I have to draw the line there.